Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Open House at Sophia's "Miao Miao Ban" or "little sprouts class"


This afternoon was an open day at Sophia's school. While her school is under the leadership of the same principal as Helen's larger school -- this smaller facility at our end of campus has only 3 classes. Sophia's is in the youngest, the "little sprouts". When we arrived they were just waking form their (2-3 hour!) nap. Its no wonder she does not go to bed at night very easily. My picture of the sleeping room was a bit blurry, but it has little bunk bed cribs and is quite full. Sophia is on the floor level with no one above her I was happy to see.
I snapped some photos of the play room and decorations..


These are the washcloths they tuck in the back of the children's shirts whenever they are on the playground -- they, like their cups, are sticker coded for hygiene's sake.

It's a hudie 蝴蝶theme (butterfly) this month!

Here is the afternoon snack -- rice porridge with plums and beans and a banana.

Big kids clean up after themselves.

Building with her friends in the free play room.


And clean up time!

At the end I switched to the video camera to record some little songs and games..Sophia and one of her "hao peng you" (best friends) were very huggy during the singing, and it was clear to me that Sophia enjoys the class and is well loved by the children and teachers, who are very professional and offer a very high quality curriculum.

After this week, only one more week to go until the end of school for the kids. I feel really good about all their school experiences this year -- excellent teachers for all three, and even Thomas has ended up feeling some sense of belonging and now loss as the year comes to an end.

This blog is starting to come to an end as well. Some of my fellow bloggers in China are getting ready to leave and I was glad to find a way to check in with them now that the proxy server "anonymouse.org" we all have used to read blogs is being blocked by the Great Firewall of China. My new proxy sever is "proxy bolt" -- working pretty well.

Michael is on his lecture tour and in Nanjing today -- Shenyang tomorrow and home on Saturday. I will be relieved to see him, as my mom is getting worse and I am thinking we may move our departure up a couple of weeks. Please pray for my family, if you are the praying type -- that we may have the gift of some time together back in the U.S.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ann, praying that you might
have some quality time left with
your mother. Praying for her too.
I have enjoyed following your daily
living in China immensely. We have a little girl 3 from China. We fell
in love with the beauty, history,
and people of China too. I know that this time in China will be
most memorable for all of you.
May the Lord bless you and your
family with happy last days in
China as you prepare to travel back
home. Traveling mercies be with you. Yvonne/Lexington, Ky

Anonymous said...

Ann, I was wondering when you were coming "home". You all are definitely in my prayers and the "gift of time" is exactly what I've been praying for. Knowing how you are in relationships, I know you don't need to "make peace" with your Mom, but I know it will be good just to be with her and with Mary and your Dad as you take this journey together. Much love and many blessings, my friend.

Cara

Anonymous said...

Dear Ann, The girls and I will keep you, your mom and whole family in our prayers. The saddness of leaving and your mom's situation....I pray she will muster the strength just a bit longer until you can be all together. Sincerely, Kay