Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Last English lesson at "Miao Miao Ban"


Not sure if I have posted this photo before. This is the front of Sophia's school. Its about 2 blocks from our building, which has been helpful since she is not a morning person.


Monday was my last visit to the class for English, which I have been doing about twice a week for 15 minutes. and I also brought some American flag stickers and some Smarties , the quintessential American candy, which Aunt Laura was kind enough to deliver to us. Here we are doing the hokey pokey...

And the "babies on the bus go wah wah wah!"

Sophia and her hao peng you 好朋友(good friend) who always sits with her.

Sophia with the great Chen Laoshi -- the lead teacher and a very gifted one, too. Sophia talks about her all the time.

And the best ever -- the candid Miao Miao ban 苗苗班 class picture with the English teacher (me!)
Teaching in the girls' classes was a suggestion of the former Fulbright mom who was here, and it was a very good idea. It was a big commitment in some ways, but it got me into both girls' classes, meeting the teachers regularly (especially important because Huan Huan took the bus) and the classmates and some of their parents got to know me, too. Plus I found I used a fair amount of Chinese to supplement the lessons and give directions and explanations. Tonight we were walking on the campus and one of Sophia's little classmates sang "hello, How are you?" by himself for me on the street in front of his mom -- so great! I am proud of the English the class mates in both classes have learned this year.

No comments: