Thursday, September 13, 2007

Taking care of business


Today was a pretty ordinary day. I am taking on most of the household duties now that Michael is preparing to teach on Monday. Unfortunately he still has no office, so he is trying to work at home which is difficult because the girls are loud and bother him a lot. My day began with walking Thomas to the bus stop around 7, then I went to the supermarket. I like it in the early mornings when it is less busy. This is part of the fish counter -- the fish and squid, etc. are laid out on a huge ice block, and you help yourself to some and then take it to be weighed. They also gut and scale it for you. I was able to snap a quick picture while waiting for mine to be weighed. Of course there are also tanks with fish and other seafood still swimming (see previous post of me trying to net shrimp), including a large bin of live frogs. Ill try to get a picture of that one!
The day was taken up with various projects, all of which seem to take so much longer because of public transportation combined with the language barrier. But today I did change water companies -- to purified instead of mineral water, not agreeing with us -- worked on negotiating a better bus stop for Thomas, picked up Helen's kindergarten health certificate, took Helen and Sophia on the bus to the ATM and to Trustmart for diapers and a few other items that I could carry easily. In the afternoon Michael and I did find a spare hour to watch "Mad Monkey KungFu" which appeared, though it was in Chinese, to be a Jerry Lewis type fake Kung Fu moves kind of thing:) Funny.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Even the ordinary is an adventure when you are in another country! Enjoy!

Mary

mimifrancoise said...

I enjoy reading your blog and seeing some of the things and places I saw when I was visiting Malinda and the girls last May. I am her mother and proud grandmother of Zoe and Maya. Walking to the kindergarten is quite a trek, but enjoyable. You shopping for food reminds me of how scrumptious the food was over there. Happy writing!
Fran