Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Shopping


This is the view of the mountain and some campus buildings out our window.
Many thanks to everyone who commented their support of Thomas after his first day of school-- he rolled his eyes in typical tween fashion when I told him. Today he is a little better, although I did have to dash out after dinner to get him the right kind of swimsuit for gym tomorrow. The question was -- take the bus to Trustmart (15 min away) or walk down Siming Nanlu (South Siming Rd) right outside the gate and see what I could find? Sure enough, about 5 minutes walk was a sporting goods store. You can actually find so many things so close to home -- I keep forgetting to think like a pedestrian, also keep getting too much at the store to carry easily. We have been eating at home, mostly simple Chinese-ish meals -- stir fried tofu and vegetables and rice was tonight's menu. Michael is doing the lion's share of the cooking and I am doing all the shopping, laundry and most of the cleaning up. He actually got some academic work done today.


By the way -- for the record I would like to make a list of all the things I was told were not available in China but which I have seen locally here in Xiamen, at either Trustmart or Walmart for the benefit of future travellers -- insect repellent, several brands including OFF! -- bike helmets (seen 2 places, not for adults, though)-- even tampons (although only 1 brand and a little pricey). Also -- plenty of peanut butter, cornflakes, US brand candy, chips, etc. Even found Barilla pasta and spaghetti sauce for about the same price you'd pay in the US (which makes it expensive b/c food is very cheap here). But what we wouldn't give for Parmesan cheese! There is one store we have not been to yet which is supposed to be the PLACE for hard to find western items such as cheese. Its called Metro, and its sort of like a Costco or Sam's Club. It's not nearby -- about 30 minute bus ride away. But for the kids' sake I will visit it. Also Michael and I are getting by on instant coffee, because even though we have a coffee maker left here, we have no filters or coffee beans. I am getting used to the instant which is shocking! While we are on the topic of what's available -- some of the worst bread you have ever tasted, even in the nice bakeries.

It's really better to eat like the locals -- the quality of produce is pretty good, although we have to wash it very thoroughly, and things are cheap. We have a grocery store quite close to campus, near where I pick up Thomas at the bus stop. Xiamen is known for its seafood, but I still haven't been ready to choose my dinner from the still alive and swimming displays out in the store. Its pretty fun to be out in the stores -- I bring Helen quite often -- its easier not to have Sophia because of carrying all the stuff, although at Trustmart they have escalators for your carts -- they look like ramps, so pretty handy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell Thomas it does get better! I doubt he remembers me but tell him I spent the first 15 years of my life overseas moving every three years since I was born. The first couple weeks are tough but after a month he won't even notice it! He's at a great age to experience everything! Tell him to make the most of it, and experience everything he possibly can. Take advantage of every opportunity that is presented. I wish someone told me this when I was overseas and his age!

Zohara Zamor said...

Well Ann, this is a magnificent blog.
I'm finally on, and I've read the whole thing.
I'm away today, but will be back on the weekend.
This is absolutely awesome!!!!!
The pictures are fantastic. Keep recording everyone's reactions. Thomas' is of special interest to me as I travel with tweens often. I'm so happy Sophia is a rock star.
love, hugs, and kisses!

Mike Patricia & Evy said...

Spaghetti sauce! Hurray! Thanks for the list of findable stuff!