Friday, September 7, 2007

Our next door neighbor -- the Nanputuo Temple



Today might be the best day I have had so far. We decided to visit the Nanputuo Temple with a philosophy grad student who has befriended Michael. The temple is very close to the our building. If you look at the photo I took from the mountain (we climbed that later in the day) you can see the temple grounds in the right foreground, including the pagoda and a lily pad pond. In the center foreground is a white 4 story building with a white roof. That is our building. It took us less than 5 minutes to walk to the back gate of the temple, pictured here.




So Once we were inside, we enjoyed the grounds and Thomas posed as Siddhartha under the banyan tree. The grounds are beautiful and open to the public. We paid 2 yuan (about 26 cents) to get inside the temple proper. This is a very important temple in southern China, and there were many different altars, some are being restored . People were lighting incense sticks, bowing and presenting them at the various altars and it had a very peaceful feel. We even saw the altar for Guanyin, the goddess of mercy...who takes special care of those in need and is beloved of women and girls, who have often had a hard lot in Chinese history.
While walking the paths we saw caves with offerings in them, and according to Michael's student, the monastery and temple were started by a monk living in a cave.






























Then Sophia began toddling around and caught the attention of one of the monks. He was taken with all the children and with the help of our friend, gave us a tour of the monastery areas near by. He even took us into his "office" a cave next to one of the altars (see the first picture). I pointed out to him that some of the Bodhisattva images in the cave had dark skin (and gestured to Sophia)..he told us that "the Buddha came to all the peoples" and to our surprise made a gift of the statue, which our friend told us the monks will do when they feel a close connection to a visitor. I am planning to have the photos printed and then take them back to him as a way of saying thank you. He certainly made our visit a more spiritual one. He gave Michael and I each a little pocket talisman -- Michael spent the afternoon translating the characters on his with the dictionary..it means "to go and come back safe and sound" Mine has a yin and yang symbol. All this culture just 5 minutes from our home!
Seriously -- you people need to get over here and visit us. It is amazing every day. Helen is so "in love" with being here that she told me today that "she loves the bus way better than the minivan, loves the fish swimming in the grocery store and all the unusual food, loved climbing the mountain and seeing the monk." We had lunch after the temple at the monastery owned restaurant across the street, which specializes in vegetarian food.


































By the way -- I am receiving comments to the blog, but they do not appear instantly because I have blogger set to email them to me first. Because I can not view the blog directly from inside China, I can't reply to comments in the blog, but I read every one via email! If I have your email address I'll reply to questions.




4 comments:

Unknown said...

Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading your blog entries. I may never have the chance to experience China, so I enjoy being able to see and hear all of these things from your point of view.

Anonymous said...

from Tanya

Well, we'll be sure to visit once we run into a cache of money that we aren't using for fixing the house. Ha.
Sounds like a wonderful place to be, truly full of 'wonder.'

Also, tell Michael that we in the Phil Dept. are all anxious to know if he has started classes there yet-- and if so, what the students are like, the class sizes, university buildings, etc.

Oh-- and Helen, I too prefer the bus (or metro train) to a car.

Sheila-Zohara said...

This post made me cry. I want you to know that I would come and sleep on the floor if I could, but I cannot. I'm travelling with you in spirit. Perhaps I'll go some other time as a result of this blog.

Mikenjane said...

Dear Ann,

I look forward to reading your blog daily. It is truly my moment of zen when life here in Buffalo gets kind of crazy with major computer malfunctions, school bus bureauracy, homework assignments, etc. I loved your description of the temple especially for that reason. I realize that I actually find thinking of China, with all of its confusion and complexity, relaxing!

We'll be going to the Roger's Lantern Festival in Toronto at the end of the month to celebrate the Moon Festival, which is the closest thing to China we can manage for now. Please tell us all about the celebration of the Moon Festival in China. I'd love to hear about its celebration there.

We miss you. I continue to look for Michael on the street in the a.m. and p.m. Elia loved the dress up photos of Sophia and Helen and Ani loved the beach photos.

AC Chinese School starts next week! We'll say "Ni hao" to all from your family,

Zai jian,
Jane, Mike, Elia, Ani