Monday, September 17, 2007

In Which Helen goes to School, Michael gets an Office and then Actually Teaches

Michael here: so Ann went to bed guilty that she did not post and handed responsibility to me. It is quite late but it was a big day so I'll briefly mention a few items. First, Helen started school today and pulled it off in glorious fashion! It looked a little touchy when she was sitting in the classroom full of squealing children without knowing any of them. But by the time I picked her up she was her usual beaming self (and had somehow scored a handful of candy). I took her to my office which was (finally!) being arranged by a kind colleague and a graduate student. They asked her what she learned in school that day: she just giggled and laughed "we don't learn anything, we just play" while she chomped on the candy. How bad can that be?

I finally got an office today. When they opened the room (and the grad student had to ram his shoulder into the door to open it) it had not been inhabited for quite a while. Dust and dirt all around and a broken window. The poor graduate student then had to spend the next hour cleaning it with buckets and rags. They then put a computer in, but it hadn't been connected to the net when I left to take Helen home for dinner. No phone yet (they hadn't anticipated that) but I finally have some free space to work.

I taught my first class: Modern Philosophy from Descartes to Kant from 7-9:30 pm. Of course I kept them to 9:30 even on the first day, blabbing on and on about the era. There were only a handful of students (more will come next week, they said, after everyone registers). They were mostly graduate students with at least one undergraduate. The main issue is my instruction in English. They struggle with the language, but they also clearly desired the instruction in English. I did everything with PowerPoint slides to help them manage my lectures. I think it worked, but some of you will surely remember my claim that "PowerPoint is the Antichrist" and use it against me. I have little defense.

Ann will likely tell you all this again tomorrow and even include pictures. Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friends! I finally got a minute and thought I'd check your blog today and was OVERWHELMED by the amount of blogging!!! So tonight while Daniel sleeps in my arms, I've read the whole thing. You guys are totally amazing. I am stunned by how adventurous your kids are, esp. Thomas and Helen with food. Geez. I can't even count on Hannah and Jonah to eat potatoes or yogurt regularly!! :) Keep up with the Tai Chi, Ann. How great. I've only done it once, but it was so peaceful. And oh, the monastery sounds wonderful. I also can't believe that there are only 1 or 2 references to "tense moments". All the fatigue and unfamiliarity would seem to have undone you more often (OK, maybe that's just me! :)) Can't get over Thomas' still long hair. I'll certainly try to check back more often, so I don't have so much to catch up on. Stay well y'all!

Love, Cara