Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Years' Day ...shopping

While the really good people of the campus were out climbing the mountain in droves -- we were told this is a tradition among the students, plus we could see them all up there from our window -- we took it in our heads to go shopping with the rest of the population. It has turned quite chilly here, as our friends in the north may be secretly pleased to hear..lows in the upper 40s at night, only up to 59 or 60 in the day. So we could all use some warmer clothes. We are going to Beijing in February, so winter coats are required! Michael and I went in shifts because Thomas is down with a cold.
Helen and I had a great time on Zhongshan Lu, the main shopping street downtown:
She brought her own money in a little "Pucca" purse (relative of Hello Kitty) and made some little purchases, while I focused on the big stuff -- jacket for Thomas, winter clothes for the girls and myself. We each got an outfit - I was particularly happy with my Eddie Bauer lambswool sweater, with the US price tags still on it ($42), which I got for $7. I have developed my favorite clothing haunts -- with good quality stuff, and open to bargaining. Usually I pay 50-60% of the opening price. When we got tired, Helen and I enjoyed a break in the sun with some candied fruit on a stick -- I could live on that stuff!

No comments: