Saturday, January 5, 2008

Hot soup on a cold day


I have already failed at one of my new years' resolutions, which was to blog every day, instead of "falling behind"...now I have 3 days worth of material. But Blogger has been very slow lately -- maybe its our computer or all the students online. Anyway -- this past week has been a chilly one, as I mentioned, and we have spent some time huddled around the space heater in the evenings. Michael and I have a weekly lunch out usually, and the first day Thomas was feeling better, we headed out at midday for a nice bowl of noodle soup.

This restaurant is not too far from the campus -- it is around the corner from the 2 bookstores. I met the owner at the temple this fall when she was out with her nephew and I was feeding the turtles with Sophia. She invited me to come to her restaurant, and now we are regulars..in fact when we walked in on this day, the owner said-- "Sophia -- I haven't seen you in a long time!". We think of it as Beijing-style food -- homemade fresh noodles in a nice broth -- mine was beef and cabbage, Michael had vegetables, Thomas chicken (Helen was at school on this day) and we also had some little pork sandwiches on thin sesame breads. I also like the ambiance of the place -- there are polished dark wood tables with marble tops and the classic blue delft style china serving ware, also framed calligraphy on the walls -- some real taste has gone into the place...

Finally - a picture I had to snap before the decorations come down -- a palm tree decorated for the holidays by Helen's bus stop:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YUM YUM!~ i like soup too! its good wen its hooooottttttt!!!!!~~~~~