Saturday, October 6, 2007

We're back to Xiamen and the blog, bicycling in Xi'an




We have been out of touch for a number of days on a bus trip through northwestern Sichuan, and southern Gansu and Shaanxi provinces. This was a very long and difficult trip, and had I really appreciated the difficulties ahead of time -- I am not sure we would have done it..but since we didn't know -- we have had a really amazing adventure that it will take me several days to recount. We have just flown back to Xiamen this afternoon (fortunately ahead of Typhoon Kroza) and it was so good to see the humble apartment!


I will pick up the tale of our vacations where I left off -- in the ancient city of Xi'an, where we were staying on the campus of Xi'an International Studies University near our friends and their two boys, Tal and Noam. They are another Fulbright family, also in China for a year. I lasted posted the Terra Cotta warriors of the Qin era. Xi'an was a walled city in ancient times and is one of the few cities in China where the wall was maintained and still exists intact. So last Sunday we biked along the top of the wall. Actually Sophia and I had to be biked by a pedicab because there were no baby seats and we didn't feel safe biking her in the backpack. It was bad enough that my kids weren't wearing helmets. I definitely had the easiest time, especially when Sophia fell asleep. Tomorrow I will pick up the the blog with our adventures shopping in the Muslim Quarter.

No comments: