Friday, October 26, 2007

A day in Seoul at the Namdaemun Market







We arrived safely in Seoul last night and said goodbye to Michael this morning, He is traveling with other scholars for the American Studies conference outside Seoul at a mountain resort. The kids and I will meet our former Korean exchange student, Jae Yoon (aka Alvin) tomorrow after he is dismissed for the weekend from the army. Today we were on our own and explored a huge open air market near the hotel -- which has been around a long time and survived a lot of history. The kids picked up trinkets and I found a shirt that fit me for only $10. We do miss those Chinese prices -- even Thomas is complaining about how expensive everything is! We are enjoying the free and free market world, also toilet paper, CNBC news and little things that makes Korea seem more like the US. We are right downtown and its really terrific, although the hotel is circa 1978, decor, muzak and all. Not sure how often I can post -- had to chase someone away as it was from the one computer in the lobby.

By the way , the first photo above is from the Myedong Cathedral (Catholic) -- I was touched by this Korean Jesus -- I took more photos -- will post more later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

10/27/07
NI HAO Michael and Ann,
Really enjoyed your blog. I stayed
at the Seoul Royal Hotel across the street from the Cathedral. Check out the bizarre religious statuary and send back photos and try to find out what they represent.

Miss you and still trudging thru Taylor.
Jim Steinwachs

Anonymous said...

Hi again,
Don't know if my comments went thru.

Let me know,

Jim Steinwachs