Monday, May 26, 2008

Odds and Ends

Just a quick post to catch up. After my long Yongzhou post and all our travels -- I haven't had too much that was noteworthy -- just trying to get back into normal life. My Chinese classes have gotten really really hard. I passed the midterm, but not by much! We are learning so much new vocabulary and have entered the realm of truly unfamiliar grammar. But I like going, so I keep showing up, even if I am lost a lot!

Both girls have been sick with mysterious ailments that have not amounted to much...Helen had what I like to call the 24 hour mumps. She came home Thursday with one side of her face really swollen in just the right spot. We were exposed to mumps while in Japan, but having had the vaccine I didn't think much of it. 25 days later, here was Helen...she stayed home one day while I consulted with my sister in law the pediatric PA...and the next morning -- mumps are gone! Guess that vaccine kicked in after all.

To add to the fun, Sophia was sent home from school on Friday with coughing and the teacher said she had a sore inside her mouth. Every one is being very vigilant about Hand, Foot and Mouth disease this year, so they sent her home. She has not really been acting very sick other than a slight cough, but we laid low this weekend and today I took her to the clinic at the hospital to be checked so she can return to school. More or less a waste of time, as the doctor barely looked at her and didn't even listen to her chest, just ordered a blood test (not sure what for), the results are available tomorrow. So I guess I'll find out something then....? Doctor says she doesn't have HFM, though. I guess she bit her cheek or something!

In the US I wouldn't have worried, as neither girl was acting or looking very sick, but I always want to do the right thing for the teachers' expectations, even though I don't like going near Chinese health care unless we have to! I guess the overpriced system in the US is something to look forward to.

Our friend Gary is here from Syracuse, New York with a group of students (they were originally going to Chengdu before the earthquake). It has been great to have another witness to our lives here and the beauty of Xiamen! We are also looking forward to welcoming Michael's brother and his family in a couple of weeks.

We'll try for a more interesting post soon!

The time is going by very fast. It is almost time to begin to think about packing, or at least sorting this mess. I feel no more ready to leave, but as the time keeps going by I am slowly making my peace with it, and eager to see our family and friends back home...

No comments: