Sunday, May 4, 2008

Leaving Japan..arriving in Hong Kong

Well we have arrived in Hong Kong one day behind the Olympic torch...apparently it was a mostly quiet and patirotic visit here, according to the local papers, but some are saying the police were too assertive in heading of free speech by spectators with Tibetan flags...Hmmm.

I had been hoping to post some photos from our week in Japan..but the per hour charge on the internet and the unfamiliarity of the computer is deterring me a bit.

We had a wonderful and relaxing week with my beloved Okasan and Otosan (Japanese for mother annd father) in Nara. I first met them 23 years a go as a summer exchange student in the Youth for Understanding program. This was my fourth trip to Japan to see them, and this trip we kept pretty close to Nara. We were last there when Thomas was 2 and travelled all over from Tokyo to Nagasaki, and points in between. We took some day trips to Kyoto and Osaka this week, and had hoped to get up to Tokyo to see my host sister, but the bullet train was sold out due to a holiday weekend. My host brother now has 3 kids, ages 5-10, so all the kids had a great time together. I will post an enormous blog of Japan pics in a couple of days. We enjoyed being there very much , and found it very relaxing -- its a much more orderly view of Asia than living in China..

Now we have 2 days in Hong Kong, and big plans to go to Victoria Peak to see the skyline, ride the ferry in the Harbor and weathter permitting MAY venture to the Empire of the Mouse tomorrow (we are not telling the kids in case it doesn't work out). Seems a shame to waste a day in Hong Kong at Disney, but I have no money for shopping anyway, and who wants to drag three kids window shopping all day! I am sure we will find lots of time for walking the city -- my other goal while here...so far it looks fantastic and the hotel in Kowloon is reasonable and nice, though no harbour views for us!!!

Message to Brett, my recent commenter -- I need your email address to contact you and would love to answer all your questions about Xiamen. Post your email address to the blog -- I will keep it private and not publish it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Elam Place! We miss you. It sounds as though your family is having an amazing time. Jerod and I are still trying to unpack after having several issues with our new place (like the guy who flipped it never got the house inspected by the City of Buffalo!). I'm furiously trying to finish my master's thesis so I can graduate in less than two weeks. :-) Jerod is planning on going back to school to get a degree in physics or aerospace engineering [so close to religious studies, I know].

We hope you are well! Everything is finally green and colorful in Buffalo.

:-) Sarah