Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Summer Palace, camera trouble and I turn 40

This morning we set off on a fine day, though cold -- for a winter visit to the Summer Palace, the elaborate weekend getaway a palace favored by the Empress Dowager Cixi, a late Qing dynasty figure (the Qing were the last imperial dynasty, and their misuse of funds and opulent lifestyle doomed the imperial system in China) Now that I have seen the summer palace, I really understand why. Unfortunately I have no pictures until I get some from my friend, because my camera stopped working. I have take in to a Canon dealer and won't get it back until Wednesday, so no photos for a while, I am afraid.

Our big sightseeing is winding down since Michael's meetings start tomorrow afternoon. We have met some of the new Fulbright folks...its interesting to hear about what brought them to China answer their questions.

Today was also my 40th birthday..roses and a cake from the Fulbright staff, a truly beautiful strand of black pearls from my husband and a night on the town with our friends..we had arranged to hire a babysitter through the staff of the conference. Being in Beijing hardly felt like China tonight --we had dinner at a Persian restaurant with hummus and lamb kebabs -- tastes we have truly missed. Our friend Alan who joined us for dinner told us there are 650,000 foreigners in Beijing..it is a different world! In Xiamen there are 200 and we know them all (OK -- a slight exaggeration, but it feels that way!)

Thoughts on turning 40 -- is it a big deal or not? I sure don't feel old, but not young any more either. As I told my Dad in an email -- I feel like I am living the life I want to live, I am living a little boldly, I am abundantly blessed by my family and the opportunities we have received to grow....and I am so glad to be a grown up at last.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday.............
and many more..............
Curious in USA

bnbcollins said...

Ni hao, Forest Family!

Bob & I were searching for an e-mail address for you, and came across this wonderful blog. I've been catching up on your adventure in China, and really enjoy the posts and photos. You all look great, but Ann looks especially healthy and radiant - is it the Tai Chi or motherhood, or both?
We were looking for an e-mail address where we can send you our yearly update on our recent activities. I couldn't seem to find one here, so if you could send us a current one, we'll get it out to you. We're still at bnbcollins@juno.com.

So good to see (literally) that you're all doing well. Too bad you're missing all this great snow. Do they use snowblowers in China?

Peace, Barb & Bob Collins

Pea

Anonymous said...

Ni hao Forest Family! Happy Birthday, Ann! I found 40 was a great year. It's 45 you want to watch out for, mostly physically and emotionally - no biggie ;)

Bob & I were looking for an e-mail address for you to send you our yearly letter, and came across this great blog. I've been getting caught up on your lives for the past hour or so - very interesting. I love the photos. You all look great, and Ann, you look especially healthy and radiant. Is it the Tai Chi, motherhood, both? So glad to hear you're all enjoying your adventure. We'll have to check in more often now, and tell our friends who haven't seen it to check it out.

Let us know where to email you, and we'll get you caught up on our activities, which don't seem quite as exotic, but how we make the most of our days.

Peace, Barb & Bob Collins

bnbcollins said...

I've never done this before, so I thought I'd send a second message, just in case. This will make no sense if you didn't get the first, though.

Let us know - bnbcollins@juno.com

Anonymous said...

Dear Ann,

Happy 40th Birthday! I am so glad you had a great day and just being in Bejing. I think the significance of your life this past year will have even more impact once you return home. You are an amazing women, wife and mom. Megan checked out your blogsite and photo this morning and she was so happy to see Helen and Madeline was asking about your move to China. Madeline was also happy to learn that you would eventually be returning. Thinking of you often and with Best Wishes. Sincerely, Kay

Anonymous said...

Ann...

Happy Birthday to You...

and thanks so very much for sharing your family's adventures in China. Every night after Luci goes to bed, Anna and I faithfully check your blog! Anna especially enjoyed the posts about Helen's school events.

Do you still plan on visiting Yongzhou? If we mail a small photos album to you, would you be willing to deliver it to the director for us?

Enjoy the rest of your year and keep on blogging!

Teri~Anna~Luci