Saturday, November 3, 2007

Bike riding and Xiada beach


They are everywhere....even though China's reputation as the biking capital of the world is being eroded by the automobile, there are still a lot of bikes in China, most especially on a college campus. And a lot of hauling of goods is still done by bicycle..I will not easily forget the day I saw three full size file cabinets strapped on the back of one. In Xiamen, there are a lot of bikes with a tiny electric motor to boost you over the hills (its fairly hilly in parts of the island, including parts of the campus). Here is a picture of my new minivan -- a completely human powered model with a baby seat, which cost about $16. I do not miss driving really at all -- and I love riding around on campus, back and forth to the market, and down to the beach which is what I did today with the kids.


We realized we haven't been hanging out at the beach as much as we should, given how close it is -- now that its not quite so hot, its more of a pleasure to be down there in the day time, and very relaxing.








In other news, I bought a new stroller yesterday to replace the one which was lost at the Beijing airport with no tags...so naturally the airport called today and said -- we found it! SO now I have two -- although the foot rest on my old one is broken and the new one was cheap -- doesn't it just figure!!!! And score one for the lost luggage handling system in China -- slow but effective.
On a more serious note, please pray for my mom -- some of you know she had some neurological symptoms over the summer traced to a mass in her brain -- which has now been diagnosed as a growing tumor. I got the news today that she is going to have surgery to remove it in the very near future, followed by radiation....we are quite overwhelmend by the news and feel quite out of the loop. I am trying to make decisions about travelling in to see her -- pray hard for us!!!









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ANN--
I realized when my last comment was posted that maybe I ought to re-read before I hit "send"-- since there were so many spelling errors! I even mis-spelled your name and John Zeis's name!
Anyway.... riding bikes in Buffalo is fun and easy as well. Since it is pretty flat, you don't even need gears on your bike. Also, there is a new law stating that every parking lot that is built or repaired in the city must add a bike rack as well. Excellent! There is a man who does lawn service in Elmwood who drags TONS of lawn equipment behind him on a huge wagon attached to the back of his bike.
The photos are great.
I hope your mother gets through everything OK. It must be frustrating to be half the world away. I send you my warmest wishes!
--Tanya

p.s. Lizz tells me that Figaro and Gandolf are doing well. Lizz actually prefers Figaro, who apparently enjoys teasing their dog who is scared to death of the big guy! She says that Gandolf insists on trying to get into her bed at night. Ha.

mimifrancoise said...

Ann, what type of brain tumor does our mother have? Some grow slowly and others fast. Radiation helps. If there are cancer support groups near where she lives, it probably would be helpful to her and family.
I provided psychotherapy (individual and group) for the last 14 years of my career and I saw how helpful the groups were.
BTW, Malinda is improving but will still have to live with us (her parents) for another 3 weeks.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Fran in TX

PCT Girls said...

Hi Ann!
We miss you so much. You look great. What are they feeding you? You look thinner. The family looks beautiful and it seems like you guys are having a good time. The pictures are great and really expresses the experiences that you are having. We are praying for yor family. Enjoy yourself and we will keep checking in on you.
Love,
The PCT Girls