Thursday, November 29, 2007

Arrived in Michigan

Just a quick post that I have arrived back in the US to be with my parents for my Mom's surgery. Even without a 2 year old, that is a really long flight...especially when you are basically dreading it vs. being excited. I had lots of trouble sleeping. What with having to get to Shanghai early enough to switch from the Hongqiao (domestic) airport to the Pudong (international) airport, I think I was up most of 24 hours, got here on time to freeeeezing cold Michigan and slept about 6 1/2 hours but I was craving caffeine, so now I am up at 5:30 am trying to keep quiet. I did read an interesting book on the plane which I bought, surprisingly enough , at the airport in Shanghai. Not sure how it got in to China, but it was published a while ago, some of you may have read it, its called "The Good Women of China" by Xinran, who formerly hosted a radio call in show in China but now lives abroad. I have been distracted recently by thoughts about how each of the middle aged and older people I know must have experienced the troubles of China over the last 40 years..just knowing that they each must have a story, but not yet knowing anyone well enough to ask..maybe I never will find out, but the book speaks to the stories of suffering of women in particular. I recommend it.

It was a bit of culture shock to land in Chicago..even from the airplane, the US looks so different -- all those cars! And I am stunned by how fat Americans are, as a group. Now I am no skinny thing myself, but walking down the street in China I have grown accustomed to the smallness of the Chinese, and it is really a visual jolt. The diversity of people in the airport is a jolt, too, though a more pleasurable one. Plus the prices were a shock -- I bought a New Yorker magazine (oh great joy!!!), a water bottle and a bag of M&Ms at O'Hare, which came to $8, what I would spend on 2 days worth of groceries in Xiamen.

Its really good but weird to see my parents, especially without the kids here. I don't think I have visited them without bringing a grandchild since there were any! I know I have been putting off confronting my own fears about my mom's surgery, but now that I am here that is no longer possible. So today we will gather here to spend time together, and my sister has me cooking the turkey they didn't eat on Thanksgiving because my mom was in the hospital then. I would not let anyone as punchy as I am cook anything important, but they have agreed to take the risk. I brought some little souvenirs for everyone, so it will be festive, although none of us can help some sighing here and there, and of course my mom is scared that she will die. As I said to her...who wouldn't be? Even with the odds in her favor, as they are..this is a really big deal. My arrival is a distraction for her, I hope. I am glad to be here -- it was the right choice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MIKE, Please tell Ann how sorry I am to hear about her mother and the trauma for all of you as well as her family. For Ann to have to interrupt her once-in-a-lifetime trip and make the long trip back alone and for all of them to face the trying days ahead must be overwhelming! Please tell them they are in my thoughts and prayers. And my condolences to you - with all three kids to yourself. You can do it!
YOUR FAVORITE AUNTIE JANET. P.S. I read all the blogs and love them. Also relate the stuff to Steve.

Anonymous said...

Praying for Ann's mom ....good results from the surgery, peace and
comfort. And for Ann and family too! Curious in USA