Friday, August 24, 2007

Hutong tour

Very exciting -- I now have blogger commands in English so I can be sure I am posting. The bad news is that I can't find my USB cable to upload photos tonight. So I will try to get one tomorrow. In the mean time, imagine if you will, the five of us along with 2 other Fulbright families we have met up with, split among about 6 pedicabs (that's a guy on a bicycle) pedaling 2 of us each in a comfy seat through an old neighborhood of hutong, or traditional Chinese narrow lanes with courtyard style housing and tiny shops lining them. We also made a few stops, at the drum tower, in a private "typical hutong home" and for a tea demonstration. More tomorrow with photos! We are tired but managed to stay up until 8 pm, an accomplishment. It is hot and humid here, which took a toll, but the the kids are doing really well. There is a boy and girl near Thomas's age among the other families, also a 7 year old boy, who is as full of mischief as Helen. She gave me a 60 second scare today when she got out of sight at a park. Fortunately it scared her straight a little and she was more cooperative with holding my hand the rest of the day. Sophia is quite the sensation, everyone wants to touch her. She seems undisturbed by it all.